Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Midgetville


One night a few months ago, I was hanging out with my husband and a few of his friends in our basement, getting ready to watch a fight on the telly.  It is a bit hazy, but somehow the topic of Midgetville came up.  It's really quite foggy (most likely due to the mass consumption of my favorite libation of the moment, Cupcake Sauvignon Blanc) how this topic came up.  Possibly because my husband's office is based out of Vienna.  Apparently this is was a well known 'tourist attraction,' and common knowledge to native Northern Virginians, but it was news to me.  And very curious news.  I had to know more and would like to share with you what I found, in case you care and like weird trivia as well.
According to the Wikipedia:Fairfax County, Virginia
The "Midgetville" in Vienna, Virginia was a collection of six small cottages that were torn down in 2008. In 1882 the site was a small summertime resort that people visited when they wanted to escape the stressful lifestyle of Washington, D.C. In 1892 the area was purchased by Alexander Wedderburn. In 1901 the hotel burned to the ground, but a normal-sized two-story building was built around the same time at the corner of the property. In 1930, one of Alexander Wedderburn's sons, George, built six small Spanish-style cottages. A courtyard in the middle of the property was sometimes used as a fairground or a farmers' market. The Wedderburns briefly established the Wedderburn Music School on the site. The cottages were rented out but the place eventually became overgrown with ivy and trees.[1] In 2002 the family signed a deal with contractors to tear the place down and develop the property.[2] Though the proposal created some controversy, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors voted to approve the project.[3] The cottages were all destroyed and the trees were removed in early 2008 to make way for "Wedderburn Estates." Contrary to local legend there were never any midgets that lived there.
I particularly liked this ditty about Bailey's Crossroads:  
Urban Legend has it that the houses were built for the little people performing in the Barnum & Bailey circus. (Bailey, of Bailey's Crossroads fame, supposedly built the houses)
Most of what I found in addition to the Wiki was more of the same.  A collection of little buildings that are no longer there and did not house 'little people.'  Much to my dismay I did not find anything that led me to believe I could drive in under 30 minutes to Munchkinland.  Darn! I would really have loved to get my hands on those Lollipop Guild nuggets.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for getting me hooked on the cupcake!! it's my new drink of choice (well, behind champagne)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up near midgetville and I used to ride my bike there with my friends. I told my husband all about it but he doesn't believe me. I can't wait to try the cupcake, you will have to come over one evening for a dinner playdate and we can have some:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. tell him to check out the photos that you can link to where it says 'midgetville'

    were there midgets? i'll see him tomorrow, so i'll try to convince him!
    and i will totally come over for a wine/playdate!

    ReplyDelete