Saturday, March 26, 2011

Cherry Blossoms



Today kicks off the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington D.C.  These trees are beautiful, but the make one hell of a mess.  We have a huge one in our front yard (pictured above), and every year I am so excited to see the fluffy pink blooms.  But then the rain comes and the petals stick to the soles of your shoes and get tracked into the house and if not swept up immediately stick the floor.  Nothing a little elbow grease can't handle, but most definitely irritating.
As far ads the festival in our Nation's Capital, our family has yet to participate. Pretty sad considering we have been in the D.C. Metro area for almost 10 years.  2011 will be the year.  I am insisting that we go and check it out.  I would like to see the blooms in their peak and here is the schedule for 2011.

Average Peak Bloom Date: April 4
2011 Peak Bloom Date Forecast: March 29 – April 1
2011 Blooming Period Forecast: March 26 – April 7

Oh, and festival food?  Woot! I can't seem to find any info about independent food vendors other than participating restaurants, but I hope there are some food carts along the way.  This lady needs snacks at consistent intervals, especially to deal with large crowds. 
Now I just have to convince my better half that this will be a great experience.......


**Also, I take back my Why-Reinvent the Wheel Wed. comment that I have no motivation to do anything cute, because this week we made Cherry Blossom Paintings with sequin flowers to kick off the Spring Season!  Check out my fine motor skills**



1 comment:

  1. i'm sure jeffro will love the family outing at the festival! just make sure not to run into the back of his foot with your stroller...

    ReplyDelete