Sunday, May 1, 2011

Back the to Apple Tree




I wonder if when g-d was conceiving his master plan of procreation he meant for us to become our parents?  I wrote about my son not being like me at all in the sense of his hoarding and messiness.  But he is so much like me in many, many other ways.  I can hear him now in my mind, as I write this, "Mom, seriously, I'm gonna freak out!"  I wonder if he will grow up to be like me?  Good lord.
As the years go by I find myself becoming more and more like my parents.  I am such a blend of both of them.  The other night, two anecdotes illustrate how. First, I was getting ready to go to see Water for Elephants with two friends.  I texted one of them and asked her if we were going somewhere beforehand for a bite to eat.  She said yes.  Then I asked her if I needed to look 'presentable?'  That is so my dad.  He always asks that when getting dressed up for a night out with the family or just my mom.  He will come down show us his ensemble and ask, "Do I look presentable?"
Aside:  If you haven't seen the movie and/or read the book, you must.  It is awesome.
Segway to how I am like my mother:  The book is pretty suspenseful and keeps for on your toes.  I literally could not put it down last summer because I needed to know what was going to happen next.  Anyway, I have always loved suspense and thrillers.  Movies and books.  I read Christopher Pike books like they were going out of style in elementary school.  Weird books like this.  Why the hell did my mom let me read that crap!?  Anyway, I always remember my mom disliking suspenseful movies as a kid, for example Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.  She would get up and leave if she couldn't take it.  It never really bothered me, until the other night.  I was like a scared little bunny.  Knees curled up and nails in my mouth.  It's not even scary, it was just the suspense that was killing me!  I didn't get up and leave, but I did cover my eyes a few times.
All in all, my parents are two, wonderful, generous people and I am lucky to have their traits!  TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment