Tuesday, May 17, 2011

One Person Can Make a Difference

To Go Tumbler
For Teacher appreciation week  I received one of the best, most useful gifts I have gotten in 11 years.
I have been eyeing one of those reusable cups for a few months now, but something won't let me give in.
I was elated to find one in my mailbox from the PTA.  Not only is it a practical gift but it has an inspirational message from Positive Promotions.

"A man on the beach where thousands of starfish lay dying in the sun saw a girl tossing them into the sea, one by one.  'Why bother?' he asked. 'You won't make much if a difference.'  Tossing yet another starfish into the sea, the girl said, 'I made a difference to that one.'

Although I get discouraged on a daily basis with my job, this message is clear.  If I can make a difference in one child's life (even over the course of the whole school year), than I have done my job well.  I have to add a little anecdote about one of my little girls who has told me on numerous occasions that she wants to be a teacher when she grows up and wants her name to be Mrs. Barr and wants to have pencils on her desk like me.  I would say that I have done my job this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment