Saturday, May 14, 2011

Cleaning for the Cleaning People

You know you do it, and I do to.  Every month when I get the 'tex mex' from my cleaning lady (is that P.C.? cleaning lady, not tex-mex...that is just what she calls it and I love it!) I begin to panic.  She usually gives me a day or two notice before coming, so the crazy train has time to roll into the station.  I must stop myself for a moment, because I am not at all trying to sound pretentious writing about having some help around the house.  After my first year of having a child and teaching full-time, I said hell-to-the-no about spending my free time cleaning.  I wanted to spend time with my family not clean toilets!  After hours and hours of nagging, my husband finally agreed, once a month and we can keep up with the rest in between.  I was overjoyed.  Also at the time, two of my pets, both RIP,  shed like a mug.  Ok, so back to the topic, I firmly believe that I want the ladies to CLEAN, not pick up and organize, because first of all, they never put anything back in the right bin!  So once I receive my 'tex-mex' from Beni, I begin to clear off counters and find the carpet in my son's room so they can vacuum.  Without fail every month, my husband threatens to fire the nice women because I am a looney and why am I cleaning when they are coming to clean?  Every month we have the same conversation, it's like Groundhog Day.  I say, "I am not cleaning, I am picking up."  So, needless to say this pattern will repeat and to be honest I have spoken to a number of women who do the same thing, so ladies if you are like us, it's ok.  Your husband is not going to fire the help because he probably knows the house will never get disinfected otherwise.  So just keep on, keepin' on!  TTFN!



1 comment:

  1. haha! when I go back to work, a cleaning lady (her name is Roberta, she's fab and does my mom's and sister's houses) will be visiting my house at least once a month too! My mom keeps her house pretty tidy (she doesn't have monsters running around dumping bins and we've certainly moved out) but my sister does this panicky-craziness that I hear about from my 4 year old. Apparently, if it's really bad or she's really stuck for time, she just put everything in lawn & leaf bags and sticks it in the garage labeled "attic". I was out there recently - there are 4 bags in the garage and she does not have an attic! (the scoop is that it's dirty laundry)

    ReplyDelete