Saturday, April 30, 2011

Teacher Appreciation Week


One time, my dear friend asked me what she should get for her son's teacher.  That may have been the easiest question I have ever had to answer.  No brainer, gift cards.  I am a real teacher and I know what it's like to get all sorts of gifts.  I also know, and I am sorry to have to tell some of you this, but a lot of it ends up in the trash.  A gift card never ends up in the trash.  Don't get me wrong there are lots of practical ideas for gifts for teachers, even a plant or cactus would be nice.  But I don't want a figurine of any sort or a box of chocolates.  I don't even like half of the assortment choices.  I also really don't want bath products, unless you know exactly what I use.  And let me tell you something else, if you don't feel like buying something for your child's teacher, we get it times are tough, but at least get a card or handwrite a note thanking that person for spending valuable time with your child every day. 

Aside: Can I tell you something horrifying I heard around the holidays?  Teachers making wish lists for what they wanted......That is just awful, I am sorry.  I can't remember who told me, but I was completely dumbfounded.  I would NEVER do such a thing, mainly because I work with underprivileged children but also because I find that completely despicable.  I don't even understand anything that has to do with that?  Do they post it on the Blackboard page?  Do they send a flyer home to parents?  Do they post a list on their classroom door?  Seriously...........If it means I don't even receive even one note of gratitude, fine.  I would rather be unappreciated than greedy.  

Even as a parent of a preschooler, I am thinking about next week and something cute my son and I could do for his teachers, but when it really comes down to it, I know they will actually use a gift card.  Some appreciated ones that I have gotten in the past are Target (obviously), Starbucks, and American Express.  I even got an Old Navy one one time, score!  I know this probably seems selfish and impersonal for me to even be writing about, but I am just trying to save you guys time and energy but giving you a little inside information.  We gave my son's teaching staff Target gift cards for the holidays, so now I need to think of something else to give them in the next 48 hours for Teacher Appreciation.   


3 comments: