Thursday, April 28, 2011

Throwback Thursday: Dorney Park




Oh Dorney! Where do I even begin?   The weather is getting warmer and everyone is starting to get out and play!  Warm and breezy weather floods my memory with smells of funnel cake, cotton candy and sounds of games and rides.  Growing up in Allentown, Pennsylvania visiting Dorney Park was just part of life.  Dorney Park is about 5 miles from my home where I grew up.   We started going to 'Dorney' at a very young age.   And when they came out with Season Passes, you HAD to have one.  I think I got one in 5th or 6th grade.  I love, love, loved it so much.  It has changed drastically over the past 30 years!  There wasn't even Wildwater Kingdom at the beginning.  The clown, Alfundo, who is no longer there, scared the crap out of me.  He had these really creepy, long, red fingernails.  I really could go on and on about the rides I loved and memories I have of Dorney Park, but it would be a major research project because I don't remember the names of everything!  I'll try to do a top 5 list favorite rides:
1.  Music Express
2. Thunder Creek Mountain
3.  Sea Dragon
4.  Journey to the Center of the Earth (I am fairly certain this ride was made for making out) 
5.  Thunderhawk
Wow, that was great, with the help of this 1988 pamphlet.  I'd also like to add that my favorite game is by far the horse racing game.  It looks like this.  No need to make a top 5 game list. This is it.  I could sit there for days rolling that little ball making my horse bound across the track to victory!   
I think my son is the perfect age for his first visit to Dorney this year.  Opening day happens to be this weekend!  I hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane and throwback to a true childhood delight.  TTFN!!

5 comments:

  1. i LOVED journey to the center of the earth! i felt like such a big kid going on that ride. i also remember being so scared to ride on hercules and although there were some big drops, it was SO bumpy and jerky that it wasn't fun. also, who could forget the laser 104.1? i mean, seriously, any roller coaster named after b104 waeb fm could be nothing but the awesome! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I read the laser is being torn down for a new cooler ride. You guys missed the mousetrap ride. Music Express always makes me think of the chewing tobacco scene in Sandlot.
    BTW LOVED the butterfly post. I know you are a wonderful teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mamameeegla, i loved the laser too! and i was thinking pre-hercules for this throwback :) and i am pretty sure i experienced some whiplash from it

    ReplyDelete
  4. my fav was the care bear anamatronic show. i may have been a little obsessed with this show.

    http://youtu.be/2J2l-W-mzp4

    ReplyDelete
  5. you may still be a little obsessed....this is not the first time your have shown me this video! :)r

    ReplyDelete