Monday, April 4, 2011

Mommy Guilt


This topic could could so so many ways, but my original thoughts were about how I am ridden with guilt anytime I leave the house alone to do errands, or just have time to myself.  Let me clarify, this means my better half is left at home with the cherubs.  I feel like I have to get everything done as quickly as possible and I rush around like a maniac and forget half of what I supposed to accomplish, which turns into more trips later on, producing more anxiety and guilt.  Anxiously checking my watch, do I have time for one more store, can I make my way back to the other side of store in time because I saw something really cute and on sale!?  Sound familiar? Come on, I know I have some issues, but I KNOW you feel this way too!  Why does this happen?  Why do we feel guilty when we leave the house without our children?  Why shouldn't we be able to do these things alone without feeling like we are doing something wrong? Don't we deserve some uninterrupted me time, or time to stroll the aisles of the grocery store in peace? Somehow this idea brought me to one of my favorite children's books, which led me to this picture and the following caption someone wrote: "So, let me get this straight, the mom goes to run errands and leaves the baby with a Rottweiler?  Good plan.  I think there should be a sequel to this book called Bad Mommy, Joyce where CPS shows up, takes the stick of butter out of the kid's hand and finds a good home for the little fella."
I could not disagree more (I mean not that I would leave my child alone with a dog) but we should all be so lucky to have such a loyal, protective, guardian for our children; and if we could just run out to the store for some milk, that would be great.  
Anyway, back to the topic, mommy guilt, it sucks.  If anyone has a way of repressing these feelings please share.  The rest of of us are anxiously awaiting. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment