Friday, April 15, 2011

Allowance


So we have decided to start giving our son an 'allowance' on a trial basis.  We seem to have gotten to that point where he wants 'stuff' all the time.  Now, my husband and I have really tried hard not to get into the habit of buying him things every time we go somewhere.  We have been pretty consistent with it, but lately, our 4 year old just wants things.  Even when he does get something new, he immediately begins to covet the next thing he wants. Like, hello, Live in the Now!  After having a discussion with a friend yesterday at work, I am not totally convinced that I want to attach these things to monetary value, but I do want to him to begin to realize that we need to save our money up for the things we want to buy.  And we don't just go out and buy new stuff just for fun.  Maybe I should practice what I preach.  Now, you may be wondering why these are the 'chores' we I chose.  Shouldn't he be doing these things already? Aren't these expected behaviors?  Well, we have to start somewhere, peeps.  This is going to be a work in progress, a fluid document.  So let's start with things we want him to be doing and reward him for them.  Then, replace these with more 'chorey' types of things and these items will become part of the daily routine.  Also, I got this supercute Chore Chart  here.  We are going to use a Dot Art Painter (aka bingo blotter) to mark off when he does the chore.  Super fun for him!  
Today also kicks off our Spring Break, woohoo! So now is a great time to start cracking down on his housework and hoarding.  TTFN!
**Piggybacking on Spring Break, I am not sure if I will have daily postings due to our packed schedule, but I will do my best!**

No comments:

Post a Comment