Sunday, June 5, 2011

Child Motivation Tip: Lip Smacker Part Deux


Borrowed from KARE Givers


Educators (and parents) are commonly urged to focus on positive behaviors that are occurring in the classroom (and home).  For example, if the class is a little rowdy, you find the one child who is behaving appropriately and praise them, "Oh! I love the way Johnny is sitting criss cross applesauce!" Guess what happens?  Most of the other kids in the class will scurry to sit criss cross applesauce to get Mrs. Barr's praise just like little Johnny.  Sometimes, however, a verbal statement is just not enough, especially at this point in the school year, when all you want is to be finished!  It's very easy to forget to focus on the positive and call out behaviors that are not appropriate, "Excuse me! Why did you just do that!? You go apologize right now." or "Do I need to call Mrs. A.P.? Well, then follow directions!" Not that I have ever said, anything like that.......
So I will reach into my bag of tricks and share with you something that works like a charm.  Please keep in mind I work with 3-5 year olds, so this may not apply to your 6th grade social studies clan.  It's incredible and I have gotten a lot of feedback lately on the sheer brilliance of it.  I  feel that I can call this practice brilliant because I borrowed it from a brilliant educator, Dr. Jean, not because I am an arrogant narcissist. She is fabulous and you can read more on her website to find out more about her if you care.  I had the opportunity to attend one of her conferences about 3 and 1/2 years ago and this was one of the best things I took away from the experience.
     Smellies: the simple practice of dabbing chapstick of any kind (obviously I prefer Lip Smacker) to the back of the hand of the children who are behaving well. 
It might go a little something like this:
The class comes in from recess and are still a bit hyped up.  
The teacher instructs students "Go to your color on the circle" some students follow the direction, most, like in my class, do not.  
The teacher says "Wow, I really like the way Sally is standing on her red spot.  Here Sally, you get a smelly!" and the teacher gently swipes the pink chocolate flavored stick across the back of Sally's hand.  
Sally smells her hand and grins from ear to ear!  
The teacher then finds a few more students, who have picked up on the reinforcement and gotten with the program, to praise with the smelly.  
Students without smellies pout.
The teacher reminds them that they must follow directions the first time to get a smelly.  
Now you might think it's really mean to not to give it to everyone, but for those who don't get the smelly, they will work that much harder the next time.  I absolutely swear by this motivational tidbit.  My mom just sent some Vitamin Water Lip balms down with my dad yesterday, and the fruit punch one is already packed and ready to go reinforce America's future tomorrow! I look forward to sharing more from my bag of tricks with you in the future.  TTFN!

**As always and as promised, this is a tip that can be used in the home or school setting**

4 comments:

  1. Glad I can help with good behavior. I gave some to my Tri buddies today..they loved it..as do I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Drew will be getting an introduction to this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. kim, the funny thing is, I have NEVER done it at home and as i was writing i was thinking about how i am going to use it with oden too! sometimes i can't seem to connect work and home.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings! I am actually excited to find out one thing, of course if that's not too much to ask could you be so kind and please tell us where you grew up?

    ReplyDelete