Wednesday, November 9, 2011

8 days for PSU


So today begins my first of 8 days of wearing Penn State gear.  8 days for the 8 (and yes I am aware there are more stepping forward) victims of the horrid abuse they endured.  8 days for my support of a university, academic program and community that deserves support.  Haters can hate, but the decisions and choices of a few men should not cloud shame on an entire community and higher learning institution as a whole.  I also wear my pride to support the football team, because it is not THEIR fault. A friend posted this article on her Facebook page and I found it very well written; We Should Support the Team.  The team deserves our support.  Everything they have known and looked up to and counted on has been destroyed and torn from them.  I love Penn State, I love the tradition, I love the 'way of life' and the way football games brings people together.  I love the way past employers have looked at my resume and been impressed that I received my B.S. in Special Education from such a prestigious program.  I am proud of that.  I love that Penn State hosts Special Olympic Track and Field every spring and my brother spent many, many weekends there.  
Even though not many people read my silly little blog this is my way of showing my support.  For the alumni, current students, and prospective students,  'We Are' and I will show you for the next 8 days.  I will comment more on Joe as the days go on, but for now, I can't help but feel sorry for a man who has dedicated his life to Penn State Football and Penn State in general......... 

6 comments:

  1. We are!!!! I feel the exact same way as you. Just think, if it weren't for PSU, we wouldn't be besties! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true meegla!! :) i look forward to sharing my PSU gear with my followers, some of it may not be pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for including me in this. I am really having a hard time with this. As someone who worked in foster care, is married to someone who works for child protective services, is an educator, parent and Penn State Alumni, I am shocked, saddened and discusted by the recent events at Penn State. IF these allegations are true, obviously the greatest blame is placed on Mr. Sandusky, but there were others who were responsible for allowing this abuse to continue. The buck should have stopped with Mike McQueary. I ask you Mr. McQueary, if that was your son in the locker room you saw that day, would you simply go home, call your father, and wait till the next day to call your supervisor? Mr. Paterno, even if you weren't given the full details of what was seen in that locker room, aren't you mandated by law as an educator and a moral person to report what you heard to more than just your superiors? Those boys were already at risk youth and now their lives are forever ruined. I just don't see how they can live with themselves, knowing what they knew. Please don't mistake me, I love Penn State and the time I spent there. I whole heartedly stand behind the football team, students, faculty and staff that had nothing to do with this. But at this moment I am NOT proud to be a Penn Stater that is associated with all those who are involved in this situation. My hope is that the Penn State community embraces these abused children and we start healing from this horrible situation. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, I agree with you 100%. Someone close to me has told me not to flaunt my gear for the victims b/c they probably hate Penn State more than anyone right now. But, I will in hopes that the community can bounce back and they need some support from somewhere........

    ReplyDelete
  5. To anonymous..I believe your PSU education is something to be proud of. I believe there are some real screw ups here..but a few bad apples does not spoil the whole barrel .
    My husband and daughters got really good educations at this school and that does not change because of this issue .
    Please take pride in the fact that whatever you are doing,post graduation is because you were given oppurtinities due to your education..and nothing can change that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please don't misunderstand me, I AM proud of my PSU education and what it has done for me. Without it I would not be who I am today or have the opportunities, friends and collegues that I do. I also know that a few bad apples do not spoil the whole barrel. Whether this event happened at Penn State or any other place, I would be just as disgusted. I guess because I have seen first hand what such abuse does to a child, parents, and community, I am outraged that as a society we do not do more to protect our children. I can't help but think that if just one person who knew about this abuse asked themselves, what if that were my child? this would have all ended sooner. What moral person doesn't move heaven and earth to protect a child? I guess what I'm trying to say is that this really isn't about Penn State, this event just happened to occur there. It is really about protecting those who can't protect themselves and living up to the trust put into us to watch out for one another. Jen

    ReplyDelete