Thursday, September 22, 2011

Parents of Preschoolers



Or, parents of any children that come into contact with markers, paint, glue, dirt and the like.  It makes my heart sad when children tell me, "My mom said I can't get my clothes dirty", or today I heard, "My mom said I can't walk in the grass because I have new shoes.' Now before I go into my spiel I will have you know that I am ANAL to the max.  I mean dog hair, paw prints, dust bunnies, stains on the carpet, crumbs on the counter = send me into a tizzy of unfathomable imagination.  BUT, when it comes to my kids clothes, I have learned a lot in the 4.5 years since I first gave birth.
Please, don't tell your child not to get dirty at school (and certainly don't blame the teacher), because they will.  Don't get mad when they come home with something on their shirt (i.e. ketchup or paint) or dirty shoes.  They are children and they are going to get into things.  Accidents happen.  If you don't want clothes to get ruined, send them in clothes you don't care as much about.  Don't crush their spirit or their self-esteem, build it up. Here's a tip, when your child comes home from school with paint somewhere on them, ask, "Did you go to the paint center today?"  That will make them feel a heck of a lot better than, 'Ugh, you got paint on your shirt!?"  I like for my kids to look as put together as the next mom, but school is not a fashion show and we shouldn't put emphasis on how they look to go there.  Got me? or to quote my son, "Are you with me?"  TTFN!
    

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! so sad! I only say this before we take family pictures - "Seriously kids, you need to keep your clothes clean for less than an hour so we can take a family picture. Do I need to get out the smocks?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. it happens more than you can imagine and i just think it's terrible! kids saying, my mom will be mad if i get my shirt dirty...so sad :(

    ReplyDelete